Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Maybelline 24 hour Color Tattoos


So many companies have been introducting their new cosmetics in drugstores lately that are good dupes for high end products. Maybelline’s new Color Tattoos are one of them. Many have compared these to the MAC paint pots. I only own one of the MAC paint points but judging it from the texture and the way it applies, I can tell they’re similar.


I picked up five of the ten colours that were available cause I didn’t want to buy it and then not be able to return it if I didn’t like it. The shades I purchased were Audacious Asphalt, Tough as Taupe, Pomegranate Punk, Bad to the bronze and Tenacious Teal.

(from left to right): Bad to the bronze, tough as taupe, audacious asphalt, pomegranate punk and tenacious teal
I’ve tested these out to see how well they stick to their name. If you have oily lids like me, then without a primer I’m afraid you will notice the product creasing and fading a little throughout the day. I wore it for about 10 hours, with no primer underneath, before I noticed a little bit of creasing. I have yet to test it out with my Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) but from what I hear, it has lasted many up to 12 hours plus. While these are actual cream eye shadows, they make an even better eye shadow base. Topping it off with some loose or powdered eye shadow will keep it looking as good as new throughout the day.

In terms of their colour range, there is a good balance between neutral shades and funky, bright ones. Though, I do wish they included a skin toned colour to use as a shadow base, like MAC’s painterly or soft ochre paint pot. These eye shadows are creamy in texture and easy to blend. Unlike MAC’s paint pot, they don’t dry out as fast so you have enough time to maneuver it before it sets. And when it sets, it doesn’t budge. 

Some of the colours are definitely more pigmented than the others. But you can build up the intensity by putting on one layer, then letting it set for a bit and then go over it with a second coat. I wasn’t really impressed with ‘Too cool (white)’ and ‘Painted Purple’…Too cool looked kind of splotchy to me (I prefer my NYX jumbo pencil in Milk), and painted purple just wasn’t pigmented enough, even after layering. So I didn’t purchase them. Edgy Emerald is next on my list, and maybe Bold Gold. 


Audacious asphalt: a charcoal grey with silver shimmer in it <3


Bad to the bronze

Pomegranate punk

Tenacious Teal: looks more like a bright blue than a teal =O


Tough as taupe: taupe with purple undertones


What do you think about these? :)

2 comments:

  1. I really love cream shadows but, I don't think I will try these. They don't seem to blend together very well which would be an issue for me because of the shape of my browbone (things don't look blended sometimes even if they are!). If anything, I would pick up the teal but only to layer shadows over. I generally don't like building powders on my cream shadows because I buy cream shadows for the unique finish- which would be diminished by layering powder on top. Does that make sense? lol
    Sorry for the long comment.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes perfect sense and I dont disagree to that. It is hard to blend them together which is why I only use one colour on my lid and then a regular powdered eye shadow on the crease/brow bone. I find myself using these more as bases for eyeshadows as well, unless im being lazy then just one quick swipe of it across the lid for a more perky look and im good to go =]

    ReplyDelete

Followers