Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Battle of the Mascaras: Physicians Formula v/s Maybelline


Physicians Formula Organic Wear Lash Boosting Mascara


Physicians Formula's new mascara was another new 2012 drugstore makeup release. Appearance wise, there's isn't much difference between this and the old version of the organic wear mascara, aside from the colour of the tube. The leaf packaging is uber cute and I like the huge brush it comes with. 


I wasn’t expecting anything different than what the old version provided but I was pleased with the look I got from this mascara: full, separated lashes. As for length, sweet baby jesus, my lashes were so long and curled and noticeable after just one coat!! It lengthened my lashes to perfection and did a good job giving it volume and boost; one thing the older version didn’t do. 

The formula doesn’t clump or flake on me. It doesn’t make my lashes hard or stiff either. And it’s all natural so that’s a plus. It does have a slightly funky smell when u smell the tube, in case you’re sensitive to scents but it’s no biggie when you’re putting it on, you can barely even tell.

Bare eye
BAM! Does a good job, doesn't it?

While there isn’t really a big downside to this product, I do wish they came in a waterproof formula just because it holds the curl longer. I wonder if they even make it, but last time I checked at my CVS, they didn’t have it. Overall I do like this product a lot and will repurchase it after I run out.  

Maybelline Falsies flared



This was a repurchase after about a year of not buying it. There was no particular reason as to why I didn’t purchase it until now. I just wanted to test out other products to see what worked well for my eyes. Oh wait, I do remember something. I did like the original falsies mascara but I found the formula a little drying. Even though I loved the look it gave my lashes, I stopped using it cause I hate seeing my mascara flake under my eyes =/

Maybelline’s quite a popular drugstore brand for mascaras. So when I saw that Maybelline came out with a new falsies flared mascara, I figured I’d give it another shot. The shade I picked up was Glam black (terms like ‘glam’ ‘enhancing’ or ‘ scandalous’  just appeal to me more than ‘brownish  black’ or ‘very black' so that’s why I picked this over the others =P). 

The packaging is also cute. It comes in a purple tube and has cute little wings drawn on it. The formula of this mascara isn't too dry or clumpy or too thick and waxy. Whatever it is, it works for me and my baby lashes. Obviously it doesn’t compare to having actual false lashes on, but then again advertisements are always exaggerations of the products actual effects so I sincerely hope we all are smart enough to realize that NO mascara will get our lashes to look like the pictures we see in magazines. 


The curved wand is fantastic and the bristles pick up sufficient amount of product and distribute it evenly. It brings out each one of my eyelash strands and makes them super dark. It doesn't take much to build up to the look that I like.


I remember a while back when it first came out, there were a lot of negative reviews about it and to be honest, I’m not sure why. Many say it tends to clump and gives them spidery lashes and it flakes, etc. But I guess the way you apply the mascara also makes a big difference in the end result. On the packaging, Maybelline suggests first applying the mascara with the curved side then the flat side from room to tip. I haven’t tried that method yet, I just apply it entirely with the curved side…and its hard to explain but I coat them in sections almost. So I first coat all my lashes ..then I wiggle the brush in three segments. The inner half of my lashes, then the center of my lashes and then finally, the outer half of my lashes. Then I wait for it to dry a bit before using the tip of the brush to re-coat the edges of my lashes.  

Before
After
 I bought the waterproof formula because it maintains the curls and volume all day long, a lot longer than a non-waterproof one. I know Maybelline waterproof mascaras are very stubborn and many have difficulty getting rid of it D= a simple solution would be to use baby oil and rub it over your LASHES (not your eye) gently until you feel like its all clean, then clean up the mess with a make-up remover.

At CVS, everything is overpriced so I’d suggest picking this up from walmart ($2 less than at cvs) if you want to give it a try. It definitely lengthens my lashes and the volumizing effect is decent. So for the price, it does a great job!

The End Result:

This ones a toughie. They both give my eyelashes the boost they need but...I think I pick Physician's formula over the falsies. What do you guys think? =O

1 comment:

  1. I like the phsyician's formula mascara a lot ! It doesn't clump or have dry fall out like many other mascaras out there.

    ReplyDelete

Followers