Sunday, June 3, 2012

May Faves


Maybelline Instant age rewind concealer in Medium


Bought it on a whim and I'M SO GLAD I DID!! I haven't been this excited to do a review in so long ohmigosh.

Usually before I purchase my beauty products, I do put in a lot of research just because its a hassle to drive to the store again, return a product (there's always a slight chance of the store not taking it back for whatever reason), find something else to exchange it with, etc etc. Yeah, but this was an exception.  I actually went in to Ulta looking for some NYX stuff and eventually ended up in the Maybelline section and picked this up despite being superrrr skeptical about it cause I hadn't heard of any reviews about it so I didn't know what to expect. (of course I got lucky cause I looked it up and it turned out to have some really great reviews) I was standing in the aisle for almost 20 minutes (maybe longer), trying to decide if I should purchase it or not, and also what shade I wanted to buy it in. I usually buy my under eye concealer a shade or two lighter just to make the eye area brighter. But the 'light' was wayyy too light for my medium skin tone so I decided to purchase it in 'medium'. I mean, if its not as light as I want it, I can always just use it as a face concealer, right? I noticed that it also comes in a 'brightener' and a 'neutraliser' - these two are on my list so after trying them out I'll let you know what I think of it.


The applicator specifically was the reason why I was hesitant because it just looks so odd @_@ But that doesn't matter anymore because NOW I LOVE ITTTT its so soft and fuzzy smooth so its gentle on the eye area and doesn't tug on the skin. When you apply the product, it does feel kinda watery like it wouldn't cover much up, but its actually very well pigmented. I really like the consistency of the product. Its light weight, but its neither super duper runny nor uber thick.

(Top): Bare eye   (Bottom): After applying concealer
What I like to do is apply a layer underneath both eyes and let it sit for a couple of seconds (so it dries a liiiiiiiil bit but at the same time, is easy to blend cause its not super dry) and then I pat it gently into the skin and blend in any harsh edges. I find that doing so gives a more full-coverage. Of course you can always just blend it right after applying it to get a medium coverage and it'll still look just as flawless.

 I might be jumping the gun when I say this, but I believe my search for the best under eye concealer just ended ._. It doesn't crease, it doesn't look cakey, doesn't settle into my fine lines or make my under-eye look dry (which many concealers do sadly) and it stays on ALL DAY. I honestly cant say enough good things about it. I'm more than half-way done with my first tube and I bought it not too long ago so that should give you an idea of how awesome this product really is
Im totally impressed
If this ever gets discontinued, I will cry and go into mourning and wear black all the time   

Revlon Photoready cream blushes in Coral Reef and Flushed


Photo credit to Aquaheart's obsessions
These cream blushes made their debut in the new Revlon Summer 2012 collection. It comes in three shades: 'Coral reef' is a bright coral. 'Flushed' is a hot fuchsia and 'Pinched' is a light peachy colour. Again, this was an impulse purchase. When I saw it in the store, I just couldn't pass it up. All the shades are absolutely gorgeous and so perfect for the summer time when you want something to spice up your make up routine.


It comes in a cute round pots that makes it very travel friendly and it has a unique gel to powder formula that feels silky to the touch. It costs $12.99 in most stores which might be more towards the expensive side but for the price you pay, you are getting a good amount of product (12.4 grams). Plus CVS and Rite Aid frequently have sales on Revlon cosmetics so I don't see why you should ever have to pay full price for it.



I really love the texture of these blushes and how beautifully it blends into my skin. If you're familiar with the NYX cream blushes, you all know how amazingly pigmented those are. In comparison to that, these photoready cream blushes only look bright and scary in the pan but actually apply quite sheer (not in a bad way). 'Flushed' gives a 'barely there' flush of pink which I think looks sooo sooo pretty on light to medium skin tones. I haven't taken any pictures with it on so I can't judge it based on its 'photo-readiness' BUT i did apply it once before video chatting with my friend and I loved the way it looked. It gave a very innocent glow. The coral shade is another stunner, it looks so natural when applied. I didn't purchase the peachy shade cause it wouldn't show up on my skin.

(left) Swatched, (right) blended 
You can definitely build up the intensity of the colours by layering if that is the look you desire but I personally like it the way it is. Its hard to go wrong with it. I think its a good product worth trying. The staying power is decent as well. If you prefer not to use it as a blush, you can even use it as a base for your regular powder blushes to help it stay vibrant for longer periods of time.

Real Techniques Setting Brush




This brush from the Samantha Chapman brush collection is the perfect shape and size for setting under eye concealer.  The bristles are tapered at the end so it distributes the product from corner to corner. Its soft, gentle and non-irritating to the eye. I've been using this every single day since I bought it. It can also be used to highlight slim areas like the bridge of the nose, etc.

Its due for cleaning ._.
Elf Powder Brush 




One of the best powder brushes I own. and its only $3 bucks
I've had this for over a year now and it has yet to shed (I've deep cleaned it several times as well). The brush is dense so whether it'd be a liquid foundation or a setting powder, it buffs it in to the skin really well and creates a flawless appearance. Looks almost airbrushed. For the price, you're getting a multi-functional brush (use it for liquid/cream foundation, powder, bronzer, etc etc). You can create sheer coverage to full coverage depending on how you use it. I don't know anybody who doesn't like this brush, plus the black handle makes it look so high-end even when its not.


Over time, the ferrule does get a little loose but I've super glued it and it hasn't given me any problems so its really not a big deal for me. This is one ELF product I always recommend to people. I've actually been planning on buying 2-3 backups so I can use it whenever my other brushes are drying but every time I'm at Target, its out of stock u__u  If you find this in your store, get one, or several, ASAP! WOO

Vera Wang Lovestruck 




Love Love Love this fragrance! I wore this a lot in May. I'm not really that good at describing scents but I would say its a good balance of fruity and floral but maybe more towards the floral/woody side. It applies a little stronger when you first spray it on but it fades into a much softer, warm musky scent. Its not overpowering by any means, which makes it suitable for almost any occasion. I love how you could use this as a sweet and feminine daytime fragrance and then transform it into a romantic night time one.

A lot of people have compared this to Vera Wang's other fragrance 'Princess' which I've purchased twice in the past and I love a lot also. Love struck is more like the mom of Princess, if that makes sense @_@ They both smell lovely but Lovestruck smells more grown up and mature than Princess. Now its not easy to get a scent across to a reader so I would suggest you go to Macys, Ulta or any other department store and try it out for yourself.

On me, the scent lasts a decent amount of time. Obviously, after a few minutes or so, I wouldn't sense it on myself because my nose would get used to the fragrance but I've had people compliment me on how nice I smelled even after 6-7 hours of spraying it on. In case you were wondering, my body chemistry brings out more of the vanilla and floral tones of the perfume ;)

I love the packaging of it too...so adorable! Its got a beautiful bouquet of roses wrapped around with a bow on the lid. It's definitely not travel friendly though, I can see myself struggling to wrap it in a way the roses don't break but that's a tiny price to pay for a fragrance so beautiful. Plus it looks delicious sitting on my dresser :) mmm

If romance had a scent - this is what it would smell like <3 Lovestruck is going to be go to scent for a long long time :)

So yeah, that marks the conclusion of my May Favourites! Hope you enjoyed reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers