Sunday, June 24, 2012

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation - Review!


I'm a foundationholic. Like I stated in my skin care routine post, I did suffer from moderate acne for about two years so I was always in search for something that would cover up my scars or break outs really well without making my skin look nasty. Obviously, it didn't work out too well cause then you have patches of dryness in some areas and some heavy acne scarring in another. But anyway, someone on youtube mentioned that they'd been using the Estee Lauder foundation for their acne scarring and after she put it on, you couldn't even tell she had bad skin.  So thats what sparked my interest in this product. In between I ended up focusing more on my skin care items and totally forgot about this stuff until maybe a month or two ago when I got a macys gift card as a present. This was the first thing I purchased and lemme tell you, it is AMAZING! 

 It’s a super duper full coverage foundation. You only need a little bit to cover any imperfections you may have. You don’t even need to use concealer over this cause it does the job of both evening the skin out as well as covering any trouble spots you may have. One thing I like about this foundation is that despite being full coverage, it doesn’t look cakey when applied, unless u have extremely dry skin, in which case I wouldn’t recommend it cause like I said in my March Favourites post, it will accentuate the flakiness of your skin and/or settle into your dry spots so if you do decide to try it out, I recommend you use a super moisturizing lotion prior to application. I have normal to oily skin and the days when I’m too lazy to take my time when applying moisturizer, I can see tiny specks of flakiness that looks really bad D: so yeah, good moisturizer or a dewy finishing spray.
  

 The foundation also dries/sets extremely quickly, which some people like and some people don’t. I personally don’t find it troublesome. I just do one side of my face at a time
I also stated that it will look like you HAVE make up on but all I was trying to say was that this foundation could look masky (not cakey) WHEN applied too much.  You need to know the right amount and have the right tools to make it look natural.  To make it look less masky, I just pour out a small out on the back of my head, war paint it on my face (mostly focusing on areas that require coverage) and then use my Sonia Kashuk Buffing Brush to buff the product in, and whatevers left over on the brush, I just buff it in areas that require the least amount of coverage like my forehead and chin, etc.
 
In terms of packaging, I do like the bottle but I HATE the screw top. If you drop the bottle unopened, the foundation can easily spill over or if you pour out too much product then it ends up wasting a lot :/ But I found a simple solution to it online. You can purchase a pump from the MAC store for $5 bucks that easily fits onto it (as well as the Clinique superbalanced makeup that has a similar packaging to the EL Double Wear, just thought I’d mention that O_O )     
         
This foundation is long-wearing, as promised. I’ve applied it as early as 7am and even by 9pm, it was still close to perfect. The great thing about this foundation is that it requires no touch ups (not even for me with my combo/oily skin) throughout the day. I may have to powder my face once to reduce the shine on my t-zone but aside from that, the foundation itself stays put. Once you apply it, it sets and dries, for good. Some foundations tend to sit on the skin even after blending it in, not  this one! You could run your fingers over your face all you want and it won’t budge. 

In terms of colour selection, picking out the right shade is crucial. My face is more pink-toned than the rest of my neck/body so when the lady at the make-up counter color matched me, it seemed like the perfect shade. However, when I compared that shade to the rest of my neck, you can see the difference in pink v/s yellow tones ): Currently, I just blend the rest of my foundation down to my neck to not make it obvious but next time I purchase this, I’d probably go for the warm toned that has more yellow to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers