Monday, August 20, 2012

Favourite Drugstore Foundations

Here are a few of my drugstore favourites that I've discovered over the past year and have recommended to others.

Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse foundation - Natural Beige



LOVE this foundation. It does exactly what it says. The coverage is wonderful, the finish is stunning and it really does apply like a dream. The coverage I'd say is light to medium but it is definitely buildable.  It looks lovely, feels light and for those who have dry skin, it is quite moisturising. This could be a good winter foundation. I've recently been testing out a few different skin care products, so my skin is a lot more dry than normal. But despite that, this foundation has been very forgiving; it hydrates my skin and gives it sort of a 'cooling' effect without emphasizing any dry patches or anything of that sort. The thing that I love the most about this is the way it makes my skin look after application. My skin looks smooth, dewy and flawless, almost air brushed. I use either my Sonia Kashuk or my Real Techniques buffing brush to blend it in. 



Even though it says its a mousse foundation, consistency-wise I'd say its more of a cream foundation. The 'hydrating' properties of this product might scare those with oily/combo skin but even then, I'd definitely suggest you try it out before forming an opinion about it. I have combo/oily skin but i absolutely LOVE dewy finishes and personally, don't mind blotting once or touching up my powder every few hours or so. I've already used up a good amount of it. Might hit pan on it soon even. And yes, I do plan on repurchasing it once I run out.

The very few negatives that I can really think of are 
1. no sunscreen in it 
2. no mirror in the compact
3. sponge is kinda sorta useless
4. not so great color selection (especially for darker skin beauties)
5. lasting power is okay, not the best

Revlon Colorstay Whipped creme foundation - Warm Golden



When I first spotted this product at CVS, I thought it was poo. The packaging definitely looked fancy but I didn't think much of it. However, my curiosity got the best of me and I ended up buying it anyway.


I had some trouble picking out my shade mainly cause its hard to tell the colour through the jar since they all looked the same to me. I figured I'd stick to the usual 'Natural Beige' that I get but it was too pinky so I had to exchange it and bought it in Warm Golden instead which is more yellow toned. I have to say I do like this better than the original colorstay which used to dry up rather quickly during application. This stuff is light, feels creamy and is a lot easier to blend. It offers a medium to full coverage without looking cakey. Like the original colorstay, it does last all day. I wore it once on a super hot and humid day and it didn't budge. The finish is satin - semi matte. I didn't like the way the foundation looked when I used a buffing brush, so I just use my fingers to apply it. The foundation photographs well, it doesn't have spf so its great for taking pictures.

The packaging is sooooo nice. It looks like something Chanel would make, so chic. However, the jar is a little heavy and because it comes in a jar, for sanitary reasons its best to ALWAYS make sure your fingers are clean before dipping it in.This product hasn't broken me out, thanks to the salicylic acid it contains.

Revlon Photoready Foundation in Natural Beige



Click for Review

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation in Natural Beige





I've been hearing fabulous things about this foundation for a year or two but never thought of picking it up since I had other foundations to use up but then one day, I just felt like testing out a few different things and ended up purchasing this with my CVS extra care bucks and tried it on as soon as I got home. On youtube a lot of girls have even compared it to the Nars Sheer Glow foundation which I've personally never tried, but I've watched people apply it on videos and it always looks so beautiful on the skin.


For first impressions, the foundation is super liquidy, its one of those open-mouth jars that most of us hate so u got to be careful when pouring it out. I didn't even tilt the bottle to the side that much but still got a pretty decent amount poured out. It has a fragrance to it, similar to the Benefit Porefessional in my opinion. Kinda like a refreshing citrus scent. Because it is so liquidy, its easy to blend and when blended, it left my skin looking luminous and 'healthy'. It has a dewy finish (without the shimmer) but not the oily greasy kind. My biggest concern was its longevity. I've heard that it doesn't have a great staying power but surprisingly, it lasted longer than what I was expecting. Lasts longer for me than the Revlon Photoready.  I have combination skin so I set this with my MAC mineralise skin finish and it works great.

CoverGirl Natureluxe foundation in Sandstone


Purchased this a year ago around summer time and wore it literally every single day cause I enjoyed it so much. It offers medium coverage but feels very light, as promised. It has a fresh cucumber scent which I love. It is definitely moisturising and of all the foundations listed, looks the most natural in my opinion (it has a satin finish). A lot of times you feel like your foundation is sitting on top of your skin giving it that masky appearance but this stuff just melts in. The texture is sooo smooth and silky, sometimes I forget I even have anything on (no joke). 



This is one of those foundations that look so-so at the drugstore but actually do a really good job evening out the skin and giving it a subtle glow while still allowing your actual skin to show through. The squeeze tube is nice, it makes it easy to pour out however much you need without overdoing it. Plus Taylor Swift is the spokesperson for this brand so that alone should convince you to go try it out =) It is a little pricey though...but when I run out of this and the rest of my foundations, I will repurchase :) Its a great product for school days where you want to look polished but not overdone. For those of you with already clear skin, this is also a great product to just even out and brighten up your complexion. This foundation will also suit people with dry skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers